Sisterhood Of Scrap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  GALLERY  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  Email Us!  

Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed

Go down 
+10
spuccini
Colleen
Kelly
beecee
After8
toyk
Lisa L.
Carla
Helen
lirose
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
lirose
Design Team "SISTER"
lirose

Number of posts : 6325

Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Empty
PostSubject: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 3:24 pm

This is where those important numbers will come in handy....

Each day at a random time of day I will post a place, where the Olympics have been held. Someone will respond with the year, that they hosted the Olympics; and the distance, in miles, that city is from London, England. The distances, we are using are all in that list of numbers. They are not in the order that the city's will be presented but the distance for that is is not scrabbled.

Let's do an example.

Montreal - hosted the Summer Olmpics in 1976 and Montreal is 3243 miles from London.

I did the distances, this way becuase there is a lot of variation between sites--- nautical miles,air flight miles, etc...

There will be two ways to earn points and there will be two RAK.

1. Correct Trivia Answer

2. Important Trivia Info about that city's games. After the answer is posted, others can add trivia info about those games, until the next place is posted. Those names will go into the second RAK draw.

Montreal - first and only Summer games hosted by Canada, Soviet Union had the highest points total with 125, USA was 3rd - 94, Canada was 27 with 11.

The first city will be posted soon!!!

Last edited by lirose on August 8th 2012, 10:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

Number of posts : 26409

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 3:30 pm

Sounds like fun Linda!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://neverenoughtime2-helen.blogspot.com/
lirose
Design Team "SISTER"
lirose

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 5:16 pm

City # 1 - Amsterdam
Back to top Go down
Carla
Forum Owner
Carla

Number of posts : 15397

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 5:53 pm

Ohhh, this is gonna be tough! Great game, though!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sisterhoodofscrap.blogspot.com
Lisa L.
Lifetime Sister
Lisa L.

Number of posts : 2950

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 7:37 pm

Amsterdam - hosted the Summer Olympics in 1928 and Amsterdam is 222 miles from London.
Back to top Go down
toyk
Big Sister
toyk

Number of posts : 326

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 8:12 pm

1928 were the games in Amsterdam
and

222 miles (221 as the crow flies!!)

46 nations participated and 2883 athletes participated

Victoria
Back to top Go down
After8
Lifetime Sister
After8

Number of posts : 2867

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 8:56 pm

They were officially known as the Games of the IX Olympiad.
Back to top Go down
beecee
Big Sister
beecee

Number of posts : 152

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 9:21 pm

More events open to women

Although women had participated in the past in tennis, golf, archery, figure skating, sailing, swimming and fencing, 1928 marked the first time that one women’s artistic gymnastics event and a small number of women’s athletics events were included on the programme.
Back to top Go down
http://beeceecreativity.blotspot.com/
Kelly
Design Team "SISTER"
Kelly

Number of posts : 10026

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2012, 9:22 pm

There's no way that Colleen knew what the numbers were before today! Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://www.apparentlymygrammahasablog.blogspot.com
lirose
Design Team "SISTER"
lirose

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 12:12 am

Maybe she is a great mind reader!!! We will have to hear her side of the story!
Back to top Go down
Colleen
Lifetime Sister
Colleen

Number of posts : 11112

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 12:22 am

Well since it is next to impossible for me to play during the day, I think someone told me what the numbers were for or I tricked you all into thinking I knew.
Back to top Go down
http://scrappingranny-colleen.blogspot.com/
spuccini
Design Team "SISTER"
spuccini

Number of posts : 12398

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 12:28 am

The 1928 Amsterdam Olympics was where the Olympic flame was first introduced.
Back to top Go down
http://stephieree80.blogspot.com
KerriNZ
Always a Sister
KerriNZ

Number of posts : 2182

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 12:38 am

Amsterdam hosted the Olympics in 1928 , the distance, in miles, that city is from London, England i thought was 222 ?

crap i'm confuzzled already
Back to top Go down
lirose
Design Team "SISTER"
lirose

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 12:38 am

Colleen wrote:
Well since it is next to impossible for me to play during the day, I think someone told me what the numbers were for or I tricked you all into thinking I knew.

Colleen, I will be posting at random times because I know some people are working . There is the option of posting a fact about those Games. Tried to make it so everyone could participate!!!!
Back to top Go down
lirose
Design Team "SISTER"
lirose

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 12:40 am

KerriNZ wrote:
Amsterdam hosted the Olympics in 1928 , the distance, in miles, that city is from London, England i thought was 222 ?

crap i'm confuzzled already

Your right but Lisa, already has the answer. Post some trivia about the Amsterdam games!
Back to top Go down
PatiO
Always a Sister
PatiO

Number of posts : 1013

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 1:47 am

Track and field events were FIRST held for women in the 1928 games.Only 5 track and field games were held that year including 100 meter race, 800 meter race,4x100 meter relay,high jump,and discus.
Back to top Go down
Gail D
Lifetime Sister
Gail D

Number of posts : 8842

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 4:19 am

I think Colleen was being her usual tricky self. Laughing
Back to top Go down
PatiO
Always a Sister
PatiO

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 8:36 am

In Amsterdam in 1928 U.S.won the most Gold Medals.Total of 22. Followed by Germany with 10 Finland 8,Sweden 7,and the Netherlands 6.
Back to top Go down
Gail D
Lifetime Sister
Gail D

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 3:58 pm

Canada won 4 gold, 4 silver and 7 bronze medals at the 1928 Olympics in Amsterdam.
Back to top Go down
lirose
Design Team "SISTER"
lirose

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 4:08 pm

Time for a new City.

#2 - Athens Athens has hosted the Olympics twice, there are two dates. Trivia can be from either games just put the date....
Back to top Go down
After8
Lifetime Sister
After8

Number of posts : 2867

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 4:18 pm

The summer olympics were held in Athens in 1896 and 2004. Athens is 1488 miles from London.

Last edited by 7th heaven on July 29th 2012, 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
spuccini
Design Team "SISTER"
spuccini

Number of posts : 12398

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 4:22 pm

The archery competitions in Athens in 2004 were staged in the same Panathenaic Stadium that was used for the 1896 Olympics
Back to top Go down
http://stephieree80.blogspot.com
Gail D
Lifetime Sister
Gail D

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2012, 4:31 pm

The American James Connolly won
the fist medal given out (of the modern era) at the inaugural Athens
Games, staged in 1896. In order to do so, he had to take a break from
his studies at Harvard University and make his way to and through
Europe. Luckily, his efforts paid off. Connolly competed in the triple
jump and emerged victorious, becoming the first Olympic champion since
the last Olympics were held, about 1,500 years prior. Instead of a gold
medal, the top prize at the time was a silver medal and an olive leaf.
Back to top Go down
PatiO
Always a Sister
PatiO

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 29th 2012, 8:50 am

U.S.led medal winnings in Athens getting 102 medals. China received 63, Russia 92 and Australia 49.
Back to top Go down
lirose
Design Team "SISTER"
lirose

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitimeJuly 29th 2012, 6:34 pm

City # 3 - Barcelona
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed   Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dates and Distance Olympic Trivia Quiz - Closed
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next