Sisterhood Of Scrap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  GALLERY  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  Email Us!  

January PSE challenge!

Go down 
+7
Carla
littlekiwi
katesmum
Gail D
Helen
Colleen
maggi43
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

Number of posts : 3093

January PSE challenge! Empty
PostSubject: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 2:48 am

The first challenge is designed to get you working with your photos and doing some enhancements that don’t really change the photo, but present them better! So here’s the challenge. Note the instructions given are specific to PSE 9 and are probably the same or similar for other versions of PSE. Sorry, I can’t help with other software but you should be able to do most of these same things in whatever software you use.

1. Pick a photo, this is the easy part! Now my photo is not the sharpest photo I ever took, but you know, I was shooting out a bus window as were the other 40-50 other bus occupants so it was a challenge to even get a photo!!
2. Make a copy of it so that you are NOT working with the original photo. You always want to preserve your original photo.

My original photo:
January PSE challenge! IMG_3393

3. Crop the photo to zero in on the interesting part of the picture and in doing so, you are eliminating the boring parts of the photo.

January PSE challenge! Cropped

4. Now let’s work with the lighting a bit. Do you need to lighten or darken the photo? Go to Enhance, adjust lighting, levels and work with the input levels. Move the black, white and gray triangles to see the differences.
January PSE challenge! Lighting%20adjusted

5. Now work with the color. Go to Enhance, Adjust color. Try the Remove color cast if the color seems to be a bit off in your photo. I find that photos often have a bluish tinge to them and I like to warm them up. Also try the Adjust Hue/saturation to pop up your colors a bit more. Experiment! If you don’t like what you see, go to Edit and Undo. That’s a very handy tool! It’s probably the one I use the most!

January PSE challenge! Color%20adjusted.

6. Now let’s play around and convert the photo to black and white. Go to Enhance, convert to black white. In PSE 9 a box opens that shows you before and after and there are some styles below and sliders that you can play with to get a result that pleases you. In other versions you may have to go to Enhance, adjust color, remove color. You can then use some of the steps above to improve your photo. I like to work with contrast in particular with black and white photos.
January PSE challenge! Black%20white

After making adjustments:
January PSE challenge! Black%20white%20after%20adj

7. And let’s go vintage too and convert to sepia. Go to Enhance, adjust color, hue/saturation and click on colorize in the box that opens. Adjust the slider bars for hue, satuation and lightness to get the color of sepia that you want. This is looking a bit purple so it probably need a bit of adjusment but you get the idea!

January PSE challenge! Sepia

8. And as a bonus, lets see what it looks like with an antique oval frame. YOu will either have to print this out and scan or take a screen shot. I really love the antique oval frame!

January PSE challenge! Image001.png

For the challenge post:
1. Your photo before you have done anything to it.
2. your photo after adjusting lighting, color, etc.
3. your black and white photo after adjustments
4. your sepia photo after adjustments
5. your sepia photo with antique frame – this might be hard to do so don’t fret if you can’t do this.
This is not part of the overall challenge, its a bonus step!

I will send someone a RAK who participates in this challenge. The winner will be chosen by random selection so everyone has an equal chance of winning.

The more that participate, the bigger the RAK!! I will let you know what it is as soon as I figure it out myself!

Back to top Go down
Colleen
Lifetime Sister
Colleen

Number of posts : 11112

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 4:13 am

Maggi, I don't have Photoshop but I have what is called ArcSoft PhotoStudio, so I can't do everything you guys can but I tried this.

1. Your photo before you have done anything to it.

January PSE challenge! TK

2. your photo after adjusting lighting, color, etc.

January PSE challenge! Adjustinglightingcoloretc

3. your black and white photo after adjustments

January PSE challenge! Blackandwhite

4. your sepia photo after adjustments

January PSE challenge! Sepiaphoto

5. your sepia photo with antique frame
January PSE challenge! Frame
Back to top Go down
http://scrappingranny-colleen.blogspot.com/
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 4:19 am

WTG Colleen!! Talk about jumping right on it!! Nice job on your edits too!
Back to top Go down
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

Number of posts : 26409

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 4:27 am

Oh my gosh! You gals are way too talented for me!! Love the challenge Maggi!!

And WTG Colleen! You are a spitfire!!!
Back to top Go down
http://neverenoughtime2-helen.blogspot.com/
Colleen
Lifetime Sister
Colleen

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 4:33 am

Spitfire, now that is a name I haven't been called in a long time.

Thank you both. Actually, maybe by you teaching Photoshop I will pick up some new ideas on my program.
Back to top Go down
Gail D
Lifetime Sister
Gail D

Number of posts : 8842

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 5:01 am

That's the one I have too Colleen. I'll have to work on this on the weekend.
Back to top Go down
katesmum
Lifetime Sister
katesmum

Number of posts : 6910

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 8:50 am

I'm gonna go look for a photo.... see you soon!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://scrapgramsphotos.blogspot.com/
katesmum
Lifetime Sister
katesmum

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 9:57 am

Wow... I had a tough time finding Sepia on PSE6... here's my photo... I think she probably adjusted it before I got it....

original:
January PSE challenge! Origin11
adjusted and played with:
January PSE challenge! Adjust11 looks way too pale!
Black and White:
January PSE challenge! Adjust12
sepia:
January PSE challenge! Sepia_11

with 'framing':
January PSE challenge! Sepia-10 the framing sort of softened the sepia but I like it much better.
Back to top Go down
littlekiwi
A Sister, A Friend
littlekiwi

Number of posts : 944

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 10:48 am

I will help with directions asap
Back to top Go down
http://www.creationsbylittlekiwi.blogspot.com
Colleen
Lifetime Sister
Colleen

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 1:05 pm

Lois I love the sepia one with the frame that is just so pretty.
Back to top Go down
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 2:02 pm

So pretty Lois!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 2:35 pm

Awesome Lois!! Tell me how did you do the framing? The only way I have been able to do the framing is thru the print process and I just know there has to be another way.

I am totalling in love with that antique frame, LOL, it just speaks to me! I might actually use the CM oval cutters that I have now!!

Last edited by maggi43 on January 14th 2011, 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 2:36 pm

LOL at myself, another senior moment!! This was supposed to be posted on the 15th. So I was thinking yesterday was the 14th and I knew I would be busy today so decided to post it last night. LOL, soooooo, I see today is the 14th...............oh welll, glad to see ya'll meeting the challenge!!
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 2:45 pm

So Colleen and Helen, who are the subjects in your photos? I'm thinking must be your children?
Back to top Go down
littlekiwi
A Sister, A Friend
littlekiwi

Number of posts : 944

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 3:12 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.creationsbylittlekiwi.blogspot.com
Carla
Forum Owner
Carla

Number of posts : 15397

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 4:19 pm

This is great, Maggi! I am gonna enjoy these challenges!

I don't have photoshop, but I think I can do this with Paint Shop Pro.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sisterhoodofscrap.blogspot.com
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 4:50 pm

Oh you absolutely can with PSP. I think you can do most anything in PSP that you can do in PSE. That was the 1st photo program I had and I played around with it for several years and finally gave up cause it was not user friendly. Then I got PSE 4, a little more user friendly, but still not something you learn intuitively. So now I have PSE9 which has really improved over PSE 4 but still you aren't gonna learn it by just "messing" with it. So I have invested in a book and I am reading and learning!
Back to top Go down
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 5:05 pm

maggi43 wrote:
So Colleen and Helen, who are the subjects in your photos? I'm thinking must be your children?

Maggi... another senior moment?? It was Lois who posted, not me!! LOL!!!
Have a good one!!!
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 5:16 pm

Helen wrote:
maggi43 wrote:

Maggi... another senior moment?? It was Lois who posted, not me!! LOL!!!
Have a good one!!!

Oh dear, someone call the men in the little white coats!!!
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 5:17 pm

PS I knew that Helen, I just wanted to see if you were paying attention. Wink
Back to top Go down
Jackie P
Lifetime Sister
Jackie P

Number of posts : 4979

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 5:37 pm

I find PSP a lot more user friendly than Photo Shop... I love Paint Shop and use it all the time.
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 6:29 pm

Thats great Jackie, maybe you and Carla can help each other!
Back to top Go down
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 7:16 pm

maggi43 wrote:
PS I knew that Helen, I just wanted to see if you were paying attention. Wink

LOL!!!!!!!!!! You crack me up Maggi!
Back to top Go down
Colleen
Lifetime Sister
Colleen

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2011, 7:53 pm

In my photo, it is my DS and DDIL on the day they moved into their new house.
Back to top Go down
katesmum
Lifetime Sister
katesmum

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2011, 8:03 am

maggi43 wrote:
Awesome Lois!! Tell me how did you do the framing? The only way I have been able to do the framing is thru the print process and I just know there has to be another way.

I am totalling in love with that antique frame, LOL, it just speaks to me! I might actually use the CM oval cutters that I have now!!

well I tell you... I had a really hard time figuring out first of all changing into sepia... then to find a frame ... that was tough but along the right side of my program there are some little buttons... one had fx on it so I clicked there and wandered around a finally saw some frames... then I had to figure out what would work and play with it.... there must be a better way!!!

I can change into black and white really easy but for some reason have to go to - I think it was elements or something like that and find a sepia thingy... there must be an easier way for that too!!

(ps... that's my daughter)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge!   January PSE challenge! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

January PSE challenge!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next