Sisterhood Of Scrap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  GALLERY  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  Email Us!  

January PSE challenge Part II

Go down 
+3
littlekiwi
Helen
maggi43
7 posters
AuthorMessage
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

Number of posts : 3093

January PSE challenge Part II Empty
PostSubject: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2011, 5:37 pm

So the first challenge was rather easy and I was just getting you tuned up! Here's something that's a tad more challenging. I know that you can do this in PSP as well as PSE. I just don't know anything about any of the other photo ediitng programs. YOu will be entered in the prize drawing for your edit in the first part of the challenge and you will be entered a 2nd time if you complete this challenge. I will be posting a picture of the prize in a separate thread in a few minutes.

THE CHALLENGE!
Select a photo that has an object or person that needs to be enhanced so that you can see the features of that object. This enhancement can save a picture that's mostly worthless. Post before and after edit pictures. The challenge closes at midnight, February 11 and I will draw a winner that weekend.

Today*s challenge will involve using the Quick Selection Tool. We are going to use it to lighten the person (me) in this image so that we can see the features of the person in the photo as well as the landscape. The Quick Selection tool looks sort of like a wand with a dotted circle attached. In my photo, it is the 4th tool down on the inside column.

January PSE challenge Part II Poster1

The Quick Selection Tool is used to select parts of an image that you want to adjust.
Follow these steps:
1. Go to Layer, Duplicate Layer, to create a layer where we will make our adjustments.

January PSE challenge Part II Poster%201-2

Last edited by maggi43 on January 24th 2011, 6:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2011, 5:40 pm

2. Working on the background copy, click on the Quick Selection tool. Above your picture you will see some symbols. The firstis the "normal" selection brush. Make sure you click on this one to start with. The 2nd is the add to your selection brush and the 3rd is the subtract from your selection brush. (See the + and - symbols.) The next box is how you chose the size of your brush.
3. Now use your brush to outline the subject you want to enhance. In my photo I would like to lighten my image so that you can better see my face. I am going to use the first brush tool and outline my entire body.

January PSE challenge Part II Poster2

4. Note in the screen image below that I have selected more than my body on the right side so I am going to use the subtract brush and click right at the outside of my sleeve and hand.

January PSE challenge Part II Poster2-2
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2011, 5:42 pm

5. Now that I have the image selected the way that I want it, I can adjust the lighting to bring out my features.

January PSE challenge Part II Poster3

6. As we did in the previous challenge, go to Enhance and correct for lighting and color.

January PSE challenge Part II Poster%203-2
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2011, 5:47 pm

7. You can press Ctrl+ D and the "marching ants" line goes away and your chnages are set. Don't forget that you can go to Edit, Undo if you don't like your results.

8. Now over in the layers box, you can hold down the control key and click on both your layers and then right click and select merge layers to put your layers together. After I did this, I worked on the color and lighting of the overall picture.

And the finished edit!

January PSE challenge Part II Poster4
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2011, 5:49 pm

Here are better views - hard to see within the PSE frame.

After editing:
January PSE challenge Part II IMG_3623%20copy1

Before editing:

January PSE challenge Part II IMG_3623
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2011, 5:54 pm

If I have not explained this such that you can understand it, please ask questions!!!
Back to top Go down
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

Number of posts : 26409

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2011, 2:36 am

That looks easy... hmmm... must get this on my computer toot sweet!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the push Maggi! And you look marvelous in both photos!!!
Back to top Go down
http://neverenoughtime2-helen.blogspot.com/
littlekiwi
A Sister, A Friend
littlekiwi

Number of posts : 944

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2011, 2:38 am

Great challenge Maggi - must go back and do part 1 though too
Back to top Go down
http://www.creationsbylittlekiwi.blogspot.com
Colleen
Lifetime Sister
Colleen

Number of posts : 11112

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2011, 2:56 am

I tried this but I don't have some of the options that you do, sorry I failed this test but I am still learning more about my program. Thank you for that.
Back to top Go down
http://scrappingranny-colleen.blogspot.com/
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2011, 3:33 am

Colleen wrote:
I tried this but I don't have some of the options that you do, sorry I failed this test but I am still learning more about my program. Thank you for that.

And that is all that really matter Colleen, is to learn something!
Back to top Go down
spuccini
Design Team "SISTER"
spuccini

Number of posts : 12398

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2011, 4:29 am

This is great! Thanks! I took a Photoshop class & paid $25 & I didn't even learn this!!! A lot of what I learned, I already knew! I will get on this tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
http://stephieree80.blogspot.com
katesmum
Lifetime Sister
katesmum

Number of posts : 6910

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2011, 8:41 am

oh man... I am going to have to write this all down!!!
Back to top Go down
http://scrapgramsphotos.blogspot.com/
katesmum
Lifetime Sister
katesmum

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2011, 9:39 am

I did do one but will try another one with not such a dark background... here is my first attempt. She looks a little scary in the edited photo... those eyes are too light...!!

January PSE challenge Part II Alexa_10

January PSE challenge Part II Alexa_11
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2011, 2:19 pm

YOu could just select the eyes now and tone the brightness of them down. She is a cutie BTW!!
Back to top Go down
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 25th 2011, 5:17 pm

She is a cutie!!!!!
Back to top Go down
katesmum
Lifetime Sister
katesmum

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2011, 5:33 am

maggi43 wrote:
YOu could just select the eyes now and tone the brightness of them down. She is a cutie BTW!!

that is a good idea... don't know why I didn't think of that.... and btw... your tutorials are great... easy to follow and I will hopefully remember!!
Back to top Go down
GinniG
Always a Sister
GinniG

Number of posts : 1332

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2011, 5:38 am

I definitely have some pics from our Christmas trip that need some help... I'll have to try this technique to see if I can get a better copy than I've already gotten... I KNEW there was a reason I saved the original pics! Hehe!
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2011, 5:41 am

katesmum wrote:
maggi43 wrote:

that is a good idea... don't know why I didn't think of that.... and btw... your tutorials are great... easy to follow and I will hopefully remember!!

Thank you thank you, Lois! I was wondering if I was making any sense at all! I think I am going to put them on my blog for others to use also. Making the tuts helps me to learn the process and REMEMBER it!!
Back to top Go down
spuccini
Design Team "SISTER"
spuccini

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2011, 5:06 am

Here's my before pic

January PSE challenge Part II 048

Here's my after pic

January PSE challenge Part II 048a

The only thing I kinda had trouble with was my computer selecting areas that were around the same color as the object I was trying to select. I lowered the tolerance levels but it got a little tedious trying to add & subtract to the areas I wanted so I just moved onto another picture.
Back to top Go down
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2011, 3:30 pm

So Cool Stephanie!!
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2011, 6:28 pm

Cool Stephanie!!

Just thought of something, do you all know that you can greatly increase the size of the area you are working on so that you can tell what you are doing? That is a big help when trying to pick out your subject.
Back to top Go down
spuccini
Design Team "SISTER"
spuccini

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2011, 6:59 am

You mean like with the zoom button Maggi? If that's what you mean, yes, I can do that.
Back to top Go down
maggi43
Lifetime Sister
maggi43

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2011, 12:59 pm

Yes, you can also set your preferences so that you can use the whell on your mouse to increase/decrease picture size.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: January PSE challenge Part II   January PSE challenge Part II Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

January PSE challenge Part II
Page 1 of 1