Sisterhood Of Scrap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  GALLERY  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  Email Us!  

Altered Art Tags: Works of Art!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Alimom4
Lifetime Sister
Alimom4

Number of posts : 8440

Altered Art Tags: Works of Art!  Empty
PostSubject: Altered Art Tags: Works of Art!    Altered Art Tags: Works of Art!  Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2010, 3:10 pm

By : Vivienne Oestergaard
BellaOnline's Paper Crafts Editor

LINK: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art13661.asp/zzz

Altered Art Tags

So, altered art is everywhere these days, from books to found objects to mixed media collages. Altered art tags are a simple way to get started on this latest trend and it’s a small enough project that you can finish in a timely manner. And a plus is that you can use these for gift tags or for the base of a very creative photo album for someone special!

To start off, you can purchase plain tags in any stationary store. Craft or scrapbooking stores even carry the extra large tags used for mini albums. If you have been collecting ephemera or crafty paper pieces, here is the perfect place to use them. I usually keep all my ephemera together in plastic bags separated into themes, such as Christmas, birthday, circus, etc.

Other ideas of tags include military type metal “dog tags”, circular type tags with the metal rim around it, wooden styled tags, tiny paper jewelry tags, pet tags, you can even use the metal lids from frozen concentrated juice cans (you will need to drill a hole in it). If you don’t have access to the above, you can make your own out of cardstock, cereal boxes, or cardboard. Clothing tags (from the store) are also a good base to use.

If you are using metal, there are a few things to keep in mind. Use Ranger Alcohol Inks (Tim Holtz) if you plan to stamp on metal. Finish the project off with Diamond Glaze as it will give a pretty sheen and protect your art.

I prefer to begin with the base itself. I like a very textured surface. So, you can crinkle up your tag in your hands and then lay them out flat again. You can soak the tags in old coffee or tea and then lay them out to dry on a cookie sheet. You can rub old coffee or tea grounds onto your tag. Other techniques include burning the edges, or tearing the edges, or for a heavier weight cardboard, take some sandpaper and sand the edges down. You can combine these techniques for lots of texture.

Stamping is a good technique to get creative with. Stamp your image and then build from that. Then, adhere your ephemera using a quick drying glue. Not only can you use paper ephemera. Don’t forget to include your sewing basics such as pretty buttons, scraps of textiles, Maybe add a stitch or two using your sewing machine onto the cardstock tags. Use ribbons and laces to decorate.

If you are into paints or drawing, here is also something you can add. Unfortunately, I do not have drawing skills and painting is beyond me. But, I love to add in color by stroking in paints. You do not have to have mad art skills for that. You can just paint in a background with a thick brush. And, everyone doodles. Add in a doodled border or a pretty doodled flower to your creation.

The sky is the limit to what you can do with these tags. Of course, they make great gift tags for your presents. You can adhere them to card bases for greeting cards. You can incorporate them into your altered art books. Make 6-10 of the extra large tags and adhere photographs of your kids for a unique tag album to give grandparents as gifts! Just insert a ring into the holes of your tags to hold it all together. Decorate the ring with lace and ribbons for a pretty finish. Don’t forget to make a cover and a back cover for it!

Last edited by Alimom4 on October 4th 2010, 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://loveisthereason.ctmh.com
JMP
Our Very 1st SISTER!
JMP

Number of posts : 3918

Altered Art Tags: Works of Art!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Altered Art Tags: Works of Art!    Altered Art Tags: Works of Art!  Icon_minitimeOctober 4th 2010, 3:47 pm

Nice tips, Ali! TFS Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.JeanMaries.blogspot.com

Altered Art Tags: Works of Art!
Page 1 of 1