Sisterhood Of Scrap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  GALLERY  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  Email Us!  

100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO

Go down 
+8
spuccini
lirose
Jackie P
Gail D
After8
scrappywmk
DoubleL
Helen
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

Number of posts : 26409

100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Empty
PostSubject: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2012, 6:10 pm

The editors of the American HeritageŽ dictionaries have compiled a list of 100 words they recommend every high school graduate should know.

"The words we suggest," says senior editor Steven Kleinedler, "are not meant to be exhaustive but are a benchmark against which graduates and their parents can measurethemselves. If you are able to use these words correctly, you are likely to have a superior command of the language."

The following is the entire list of 100 words:

1. abjure
2. abrogate
3.abstemious
4. acumen
5. antebellum
6. auspicious
7. belie
8. bellicose
9. bowdlerize
10. chicanery
11. chromosome
12. churlish
13. circumlocution
14. circumnavigate
15. deciduous
16. deleterious
17. diffident
18. enervate
19. enfranchise
20. epiphany
21. equinox
22. euro
23. evanescent
24. expurgate
25. facetious
26. fatuous
27. feckless
28. fiduciary
29. filibuster
30. gamete
31. gauche
32. gerrymander
33. hegemony
34. hemoglobin
35. homogeneous
36. hubris
37. hypotenuse
38. impeach
39. incognito
40. incontrovertible
41. inculcate
42. infrastructure
43. interpolate
44. irony
45. jejune
46. kinetic
47. kowtow
48. laissez faire
49. lexicon
50. loquacious
51. lugubrious
52. metamorphosis
53. mitosis
54. moiety
55. nanotechnology
56. nihilism
57. nomenclature
58. nonsectarian
59. notarize
60. obsequious
61. oligarchy
62. omnipotent
63. orthography
64. oxidize
65. parabola
66. paradigm
67. parameter
68. pecuniary
69. photosynthesis
70. plagiarize
71. plasma
72. polymer
73. precipitous
74. quasar
75. quotidian
76. recapitulate
77. reciprocal
78. reparation
79. respiration
80. sanguine
81. soliloquy
82. subjugate
83. suffragist
84. supercilious
85. tautology
86. taxonomy
87. tectonic
88. tempestuous
89. thermodynamics
90. totalitarian
91. unctuous
92. usurp
93. vacuous
94. vehement
95. vortex
96. winnow
97. wrought
98. xenophobe
99. yeoman
100. ziggurat

I want you to pick 25 words, pm them to me (don't tell anyone) before June 30th!!
I wil start giving you these words starting July 1st!!!

Back to top Go down
http://neverenoughtime2-helen.blogspot.com/
DoubleL
Big Sister
DoubleL

Number of posts : 466

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2012, 7:32 pm

Ok I will be the first to admit I am stupid...LOL...I do not have a superior command of the language...

Im ok with that...

Ok so I will pick 25 ...thanks!!
Back to top Go down
http://doublel-paperprincess.blogspot.ca/
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2012, 7:34 pm

Me neither Laura-Lee! I never knew hald these words when I graduated in 1977!! LOL!! I don't think that most of those were in the dictionary then! LOL!!

Back to top Go down
scrappywmk
Lifetime Sister
scrappywmk

Number of posts : 3970

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2012, 7:57 pm

Maybe if you went to a pompus private school? (No offense to anyone who did...lol). They didn't teach us half of those words in small town Saskatchewan.....hahaha.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wanitasblogspot.blogspot.com
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2012, 8:00 pm

LOL Wanita.. nor in that small southern Alberta town either!! LOL!

I wonder if Stuart knows most of these? If not, he better get a move on.. he has a year left in high school!!!
Back to top Go down
After8
Lifetime Sister
After8

Number of posts : 2867

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2012, 8:05 pm

affraid ...and I thought I was an honor student in school! Americans must have a much better vocabulary than us Canadians, eh? LOL!
Back to top Go down
Gail D
Lifetime Sister
Gail D

Number of posts : 8842

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2012, 9:02 pm

There are words on the list I still can't use properly. Yikes!

I've PMd my list.
Back to top Go down
Jackie P
Lifetime Sister
Jackie P

Number of posts : 4979

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2012, 10:24 pm

I knew 65 of them, yikes and I thought I had a good vocab!!!
Back to top Go down
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2012, 11:55 pm

See... I will be teaching you something this summer! LOL!!

I got Gail and Jackie's words!
Back to top Go down
Jackie P
Lifetime Sister
Jackie P

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 1:19 am

Well I'm not gonna be wasting my time a learning a lot of words that I have no use for... I mean if they are words that are not in my everyday vocab between me and my dog, what's the point?????
Back to top Go down
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 2:44 am

LOL Jackie! So glad you are back and in rare form! LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
lirose
Design Team "SISTER"
lirose

Number of posts : 6325

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 3:14 am

Definitely words there that I do not use every day!
Back to top Go down
spuccini
Design Team "SISTER"
spuccini

Number of posts : 12398

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 5:27 am

Helen wrote:
LOL Jackie! So glad you are back and in rare form! LOL!!!

Yes Jackie, it's nice to have you back! I've missed your posts and your humor Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://stephieree80.blogspot.com
Gail D
Lifetime Sister
Gail D

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 8:22 am

I agree. cheers
Back to top Go down
Evinta
Always a Sister
Evinta

Number of posts : 2355

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 8:53 am

..what the? sounds like a whole new language!!!
Back to top Go down
scrappywmk
Lifetime Sister
scrappywmk

Number of posts : 3970

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 10:09 am

7th heaven wrote:
affraid ...and I thought I was an honor student in school! Americans must have a much better vocabulary than us Canadians, eh? LOL!

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wanitasblogspot.blogspot.com
Kelly
Design Team "SISTER"
Kelly

Number of posts : 10026

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 4:48 pm

Gail D wrote:
I agree. cheers

same here!! Welcome back Jackie!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.apparentlymygrammahasablog.blogspot.com
Kelly
Design Team "SISTER"
Kelly

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 4:51 pm

I can use most of these words correctly but certainly not every day and certainly not to my dog (Jackie!) I was a magazine editor in a former life and also taught college level writing to high school students. I love words.. I love WORDS... I LOVE WORDS!!
Back to top Go down
Kelly
Design Team "SISTER"
Kelly

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 4:51 pm

oh! I'll pm you a few later today Helen... I think I'm going to go and have a quiet shower with nobody banging at the door wondering what I'm doing "in dere"... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Jackie P
Lifetime Sister
Jackie P

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 6:14 pm

KZ wrote:
I can use most of these words correctly but certainly not every day and certainly not to my dog (Jackie!) I was a magazine editor in a former life and also taught college level writing to high school students. I love words.. I love WORDS... I LOVE WORDS!!

NERD NERD NERD NERD NERD
Back to top Go down
oliebud
Always a Sister
oliebud

Number of posts : 1449

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 6:18 pm

i am sure i would have used all these words when i graduated high school( what a pompus ass i was!!! LOL) I have since learned i might as well talk like everyone else if i want anyone to talk back to me!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://cherylscraftycreations.blogspot.com/
Gail D
Lifetime Sister
Gail D

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 6:28 pm

That's funny Cheryl.
Back to top Go down
Kelly
Design Team "SISTER"
Kelly

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 8:16 pm

OK.. down girls.. I don't USE all those words in daily conversation (not even with people let alone my dog) but I COULD..

Teacher! Teacher! Jackie is picking on me and Cheryl called me a bad name!!!

affraid
Back to top Go down
oliebud
Always a Sister
oliebud

Number of posts : 1449

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 8:33 pm

LOLOLOL..... hehe........ i believe i called me a bad name!!...not my fault you take it personally!!!! my goodness Kelly.... you are too funny!!!! ....... and i am a bully.... so look out ladies!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://cherylscraftycreations.blogspot.com/
Jackie P
Lifetime Sister
Jackie P

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2012, 8:44 pm

Oh Miss Helen, Kelly is being bad... she knocked Colleen down on the playground and took the gum right outta her mouf... Cheryl helpted her do it too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO   100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

100 Words all High School Grads, and their Parents, should know BINGO
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sisterhood Of Scrap :: SOS Summer Bingo-
Jump to: