Sisterhood Of Scrap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  GALLERY  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  Email Us!  

homemade thickers

Go down 
+7
spuccini
Carla
scrappywmk
Helen
Lisa L.
Kelly
After8
11 posters
AuthorMessage
After8
Lifetime Sister
After8

Number of posts : 2867

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2012, 2:56 pm

I love the look of thickers, but the price of them usually keeps me from buying. When I upgraded from my Sizzix to my cricut, I kept the sizzix because it made great raw letters out of chipboard and grungeboard. With the addition of a xyron sticker maker to my stash I soon found I could make great imitation thickers!

To start, cut the letters you need from the sizzix or big shot from a thick medium (chipboard, cardboard, foam, etc.) I've never tried, but a deep-cut blade on the cricut may also work.

homemade thickers Img_0925

Cover the letters with the color you want them to be when finished. Ink and paint work well, I used cardstock.

homemade thickers Img_1010

To add loose, messy "garnish" to your letters, run the letters through the sticker maker UPSIDE DOWN. Make sure they are dry first if you used paint or ink!

homemade thickers Img_1011

Before peeling the letters from the sticker strip, rub well around the edges of the letters to keep them from having extra "goo" I used the old CM multi-purpose tool for this (aka sticker picker!). Add glitter, flocking, or microbeads to the top side of your letter.

homemade thickers Img_1012

See the difference between the finished "H" and the unfinished letters?

homemade thickers Img_1013

Here they are on a LO I did last night:

homemade thickers Img_1014

See how shiny they are!

homemade thickers Img_1015

Last edited by 7th heaven on May 9th 2012, 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kelly
Design Team "SISTER"
Kelly

Number of posts : 10026

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2012, 3:01 pm

Oh I love that Xyron trick for adding the micro beads... genius!! My Cricut will cut chipboard etc with the deep blade housing.. just fool around with speed and depth settings (I can't remember off hand)..My BigShot would as well... just for more options.
Back to top Go down
http://www.apparentlymygrammahasablog.blogspot.com
After8
Lifetime Sister
After8

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2012, 3:08 pm

It was flocking that made me try the xyron... I could never get the glue that came with the velvety stuff to attach it without looking balled-up and messy. The xyron worked great!
Back to top Go down
Lisa L.
Lifetime Sister
Lisa L.

Number of posts : 2950

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2012, 4:14 pm

Oh I love them! Great idea!
Back to top Go down
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

Number of posts : 26409

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2012, 4:17 pm

Awesome idea! We have a xyron at work, may have to break it out and give it a try! Thanks Jessica!
Back to top Go down
http://neverenoughtime2-helen.blogspot.com/
scrappywmk
Lifetime Sister
scrappywmk

Number of posts : 3970

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2012, 7:11 pm

I will have to try this with the die cut machines I have....lots of flocking that I just "had to have" and haven't used...ever!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wanitasblogspot.blogspot.com
Carla
Forum Owner
Carla

Number of posts : 15397

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2012, 7:27 pm

Awesome tutorial! Love it!

I've seen those microbeads at Michaels. Very nice!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sisterhoodofscrap.blogspot.com
spuccini
Design Team "SISTER"
spuccini

Number of posts : 12398

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2012, 9:31 pm

Very cool idea!
Back to top Go down
http://stephieree80.blogspot.com
lirose
Design Team "SISTER"
lirose

Number of posts : 6325

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2012, 12:27 am

Great tutorial, Jessica. Love that idea!!!
Back to top Go down
Gail D
Lifetime Sister
Gail D

Number of posts : 8842

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2012, 2:53 am

I love the xyron idea for adding the finishing touch.
Back to top Go down
Colleen
Lifetime Sister
Colleen

Number of posts : 11112

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2012, 3:10 am

Great tutorial and thank you, love the idea
Back to top Go down
http://scrappingranny-colleen.blogspot.com/
After8
Lifetime Sister
After8

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2012, 4:06 am

You're very welcome, ladies!
Back to top Go down
PatiO
Always a Sister
PatiO

Number of posts : 1013

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2012, 9:03 am

homemade thickers Tut1

1.Use any bare chipboard-letters or shapes.Paint it any color that goes with your LO.Let the paint dry well-otherwise it will peel or bubble when you use the UTEE and heat on it.
2. When it is well dried Versa Mark the shape or letter well.
3. Dip shape into UTEE( an ultra thick embossing powder,use an embossing tool to melt the powder.When done melting you will have a rough ness to it so repeat the process again with the versa mark and UTEE,heat and you will have a nice smooth ,shiny shape or letter.
I've used this method on many of my LOs especially when you want just the right color to that particular LO.
Back to top Go down
PatiO
Always a Sister
PatiO

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2012, 9:05 am

homemade thickers Tut2
This is the 2nd step.
Back to top Go down
PatiO
Always a Sister
PatiO

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2012, 9:07 am

homemade thickers Tut3
Step #3
Back to top Go down
PatiO
Always a Sister
PatiO

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2012, 9:12 am

homemade thickers Tut4

I used this method on the swirly in this LO.It is done in white,adding some sparkle to it.
Sorry I had to go through the gallery to upload these steps.My DD who usually helps me with doing computer stuff is out of town tonight and tomorrow so I had to do this the long way!!
Back to top Go down
lirose
Design Team "SISTER"
lirose

Number of posts : 6325

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2012, 1:19 pm

A beautiful LO, Pat and another super tutorial idea when you have the pefect Chipboard but not the right color.
Back to top Go down
After8
Lifetime Sister
After8

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2012, 2:09 pm

So shiny!
Back to top Go down
Carla
Forum Owner
Carla

Number of posts : 15397

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2012, 6:54 pm

Great job, Pat! I've used it before and made heated several layers of the UTEE, then set it in the fridge for a few minutes. Pull it out and "crack" it, then ink. Makes it look antique.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sisterhoodofscrap.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

homemade thickers Empty
PostSubject: Re: homemade thickers   homemade thickers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

homemade thickers
Page 1 of 1