Sisterhood Of Scrap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  GALLERY  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  Email Us!  

A new photography challenge...

Go down 
+5
Gail D
Carla
Colleen
Helen
Snapps
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Snapps
Little Sister
Snapps

Number of posts : 49

A new photography challenge... Empty
PostSubject: A new photography challenge...   A new photography challenge... Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2012, 8:30 am

Ever look at a photo and think that something was not quite right? You stare at it for a while but just cannot put your finger on what is wrong? You tilt your head in concentration...and that is when it hits you! Your camera was crooked!

A new photography challenge... _DSC8870-small

The human eye and brain is incredible. Our brain just fixes these minor details before we are even consciously aware of them. (A notable exception to this rule is my Aunt, who can pull in the lane way, and as she is stepping out of the car comment that the living room portrait is a hair off. It drives her bonkers. She would correct wall hangings at Buckingham if she could! I like to deliberately shift all the pictures at my mom's house about a centimetre when I know my Aunt will be visiting.) But for the rest of us, it is just not something that registers. We spend our entire days tilting our heads, in one direction and then the next. We are always changing our perspective of the horizon. It is amazing we do not get dizzy! Despite this automatic compensation, we can look at a crooked photo and know that something is off, but still not be able to decide what. Many times we need a rather blatant kick in the right direction: like someone saying: "Your picture is askew." And then you wonder how you could have possibly missed it, especially since now that is the ONLY thing you can see! -sigh- Thank goodness for modern computers and post-production software.

Most software comes with the ability to fix a horizon. Picasa and Faststone are free viewers that offer some excellent photo editing/photo fixing for people who just want to give their photos that extra edge without becoming full-blown photographers or graphic designers. You will be amazed how much a straight and true horizon line can affect a photo.

A new photography challenge... _DSC8870-Edit-small

Here is my challenge: Find an old photograph or take one deliberately that is crooked. For our computer-savvy here on SOS, give a try at fixing it on the computer. For those less savvy or with a non-digital photo, scrap it to make it straight again. :-) Good Luck!

As I write this, I cannot help but think of a small child who is still learning to compensate for this kind of constant shifting of orientation. How interesting and active the world must seem to them...always tilting, always moving! (and now we know why babies spit up all the time -- they are constantly dizzy!!) Surprised
Back to top Go down
Helen
ADMIN SISTER
Helen

Number of posts : 26409

PostSubject: Re: A new photography challenge...   A new photography challenge... Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2012, 1:04 pm

Awesome challenge and so very true about the babies!! LOL!!!

LOVE your photo too btw!!
Back to top Go down
http://neverenoughtime2-helen.blogspot.com/
Colleen
Lifetime Sister
Colleen

Number of posts : 11112

PostSubject: Re: A new photography challenge...   A new photography challenge... Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2012, 1:41 pm

LOVE your photo.

Great challenge and I will try to find a photo but I am not like your aunt, I suck at seeing this stuff, she would probably have a ball at my house.
Back to top Go down
http://scrappingranny-colleen.blogspot.com/
Carla
Forum Owner
Carla

Number of posts : 15397

PostSubject: Re: A new photography challenge...   A new photography challenge... Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2012, 2:13 pm

What a wonderful photo!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sisterhoodofscrap.blogspot.com
Gail D
Lifetime Sister
Gail D

Number of posts : 8842

PostSubject: Re: A new photography challenge...   A new photography challenge... Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2012, 3:31 pm

Great photo Janet. I have tons of landscape pictures I could use for this.
Back to top Go down
Lisa L.
Lifetime Sister
Lisa L.

Number of posts : 2950

PostSubject: Re: A new photography challenge...   A new photography challenge... Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2012, 3:55 pm

great challenge!
Back to top Go down
Kelly
Design Team "SISTER"
Kelly

Number of posts : 10026

PostSubject: Re: A new photography challenge...   A new photography challenge... Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2012, 5:15 pm

love your photo... Embarassed I am "known" for my deliberately crooked - off centre - at an angle photos.... I do it deliberately... Wink

Back to top Go down
http://www.apparentlymygrammahasablog.blogspot.com
Snapps
Little Sister
Snapps

PostSubject: Re: A new photography challenge...   A new photography challenge... Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2012, 5:29 pm

Kelly: HAHA You gave away next weeks challenge! I love taking photos at an angle, too, it can add a lot of life.
Back to top Go down
Jackie P
Lifetime Sister
Jackie P

Number of posts : 4979

PostSubject: Re: A new photography challenge...   A new photography challenge... Icon_minitimeMarch 18th 2012, 5:34 pm

Oh Janet you are wicked wicked wicked... you know ALL my photos are crooked LOL
Of course that is why did this isn't it? I am on this like a bee to honey Smile
Back to top Go down
spuccini
Design Team "SISTER"
spuccini

Number of posts : 12398

PostSubject: Re: A new photography challenge...   A new photography challenge... Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 10:06 pm

I think you can tell I edited this photo. The first one is the original crooked one & the second one is the edited one.

A new photography challenge... Zachflowers

A new photography challenge... Zachflowersstraight
Back to top Go down
http://stephieree80.blogspot.com
Snapps
Little Sister
Snapps

PostSubject: Re: A new photography challenge...   A new photography challenge... Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2012, 11:53 pm

Nice fix, Stephanie!

It's amazing how that little tiny fix makes it look better. :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A new photography challenge...   A new photography challenge... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A new photography challenge...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sisterhood Of Scrap :: SCRAPPY CHAT :: Photo-A-Day-
Jump to: